Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Simple Things

For Lent, we are supposed to either give something up, or make some sort of change from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday. For most years, I've given up chocolate. It's simple, and yet it's hard. You don't realize how much something like chocolate is a part of your life until you give it up for nearly seven weeks.

But this year, Dannielle asked me to do something different. I tend to be less than attentive to the family, especially the kids, when I've had a long day at work or I'm just tired, and my go-to for winding down is the computer. Writing, watching videos, reading, whatever. It gets my mind back on track. But it comes with the cost of not spending enough time with my kids.

So, this year, that's what I'm doing. I'm doing more with the family, and less on my own. At least, until they go to bed. Then, it's my time to do whatever I want.

Of course, there are other things that need to be done; tax season is upon us, and I'm the person who does our family's taxes. So, that's got to be taken care of, the sooner the better. And there's a farm to deal with; spring is approaching, so we need to have things figured out by then. That's coming along, albeit slowly. There's a lot of stuff to sort through when planning a big garden like this one. But I will get it done.

But tonight, Dannielle brought home a puzzle from her shopping trip to town. It's a 400-piece Cars puzzle starring Lightning McQueen and his friends. Mommy was going to do the puzzle with him after supper, but he started on it before we sat down to eat, and once I was done eating he insisted that Daddy was going to help him.

I would have been fine if the puzzle was on a table. But no, it was on the living room floor. So, my creaky old bones got down on the floor beside him, and we worked on that puzzle for nearly two hours. My knees are still pissed off at me. Still, it was a nice evening with my son, and he was happy. That's what matters in the end.

And now, I'm going to book a knee replacement surgery. If you'll excuse me...

While I'm doing that, you might want to check out my newest book, Crystal Lilac, now available in e-book and paperback formats at an Amazon website near you. Check it out, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment