Saturday, July 18, 2020

Who is...Bard Conley?

So, I'm working hard on the next book, which I plan to have out by the end of the month. The cover art looks good so far; it's not finished, but when it is, I'll show it to you. The book is Bard Conley's Solar Adventures. I know, it's not exactly the most original title, but it gets the point across.

So, Bard Conley. Well, he's a Marine. An ex-Marine, actually. Born on a high-gravity planet of a native mother and a father from Earth, he's taller than a normal human and strong like a bull. He's basically a big boy built like a brick outhouse. And he's as tough as they come.

More importantly, from my point of view, is that he's the first character I wrote about when I started writing almost a year ago. The first story I wrote was his first story, "The Star of Cassiopeia," which you can find in A Universe of Possibilities. It took a couple of tries to get the character right; originally, he was actually a bookish space nerd crossed with Indiana Jones. The whole idea of the story changed twice before I finally got it done, too. But it was a great feeling and a great experience, because I wrote the whole story in three days, before I started tracking everything in my writing tracker.

So, why didn't I publish this anthology earlier? Because I didn't have it ready, obviously. I'm finding that while I enjoy reading science fiction, writing it isn't as much fun as I thought. I suppose that comes from literal decades of focusing on fantasy stuff, which stems from my RPG experiences (which was about 90% D&D). I've been working on this anthology for a while, on-and-off, and it's just about ready. It will be ready within ten days time, which is my one-year anniversary of serious writing. Not bad, is it?

At the end of the month, I'll take stock of the year's efforts and do some serious goal-setting for the next year. With school, work and family, it makes it tough to get the writing done as much as I want. But there are ways to do it, and I'm going to figure out those ways in time to get myself to wherever I want to get to as a writer and self-publisher.

In the meantime, for a preview of Bard's upcoming adventures, take a look at my first anthology, A Universe of Possibilities, available now on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment