Wednesday, July 29, 2020

A Special Anniversary

One year ago, I started writing professionally. That is, I didn't just write for the fun of it anymore, I wrote because I was serious about publishing my work. I'd been looking at getting started for about a month, doing some research and getting rid of some of the myths of writing that I'd been taught over the years. It was a pretty great feeling, and it's been a really fantastic year. I didn't reach my goal of 100,000 words every month, but I did pretty darn well, considering. I'm close to a million words over the course of the past twelve months, which is something a lot of writers never do in their lifetimes.

So, I'm going to celebrate by releasing my tenth book; I'm just putting the finishing touches on Bard Conley's Solar System Adventures, and I expect it will be available by the 31st. I'm excited about this one; it's a semi-anthology; the stories are linked together by an overall plot thread, but it takes a while for that thread to become clear. The last few stories are obviously linked, but they also stand alone. There are ten stories in this book, plus a wrap-up epilogue.

As I mentioned previously, I'm more comfortable writing fantasy than I am science fiction; I've read and played a lot more fantasy than sci-fi in my life. I'm working on fixing that gap with my read-through of Amazing Stories magazine, but it's quite a significant difference. Hopefully, the experience I got writing the Bard Conley stories will help me in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment