Monday, May 25, 2020

Random and Sundry Thoughts on a Monday Night

Well, that was a different kind of day. Compared to the last two, anyway. No manual labor, no heavy-duty sun exposure...we're almost back to normal now.

I've been thinking about doing some sort of game review series like the one I'm doing with Amazing Stories, but I'm not sure that it hasn't all already been done. I mean, every D&D module, rule book, supplement and even magazine has been reviewed to death by dozens of bloggers and reviewers. I doubt I could add anything to that, and my wife wouldn't care for it, anyway.

There are some other games that I've played that I really enjoy, but again, I'm not sure how many of them have been reviewed before by better people than me. Of course, a different perspective isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm inclined to do a 'Let's Read' series on a game I've never actually played before, Traveller. I mean, I've read about the game, and I have the original 1977, pre-Star Wars rule books sitting on my hard drive. That might be a fun thing to do in addition to my regular blogging. Reading through a game I've never looked at before and giving my honest opinion about it would be an interesting project.

In other news, homeschooling is back up and running after nearly a week of crazy-busy stuff, and we're getting ready to start the youngest on his first homeschooling work. That should be an interesting project as well. It's something we've been delaying because of his autism, but he's going to be eight in December, and we need to get going. He's got the tools, he just needs the direction. The twelve-year-old, on the other hand, needs a lot of direction. He's quite the handful, but we'll get there.

I'm slowly closing in on the 100-post mark, and I like that there are a couple of people reading me regularly so far. A comment or two would be nice, but I can't expect everyone who reads to comment. Someday, but not just yet. I'm not sure what I'll do when I actually get to 100, but that's a milestone that really should be marked.

I've finished reading Abraham Merritt's The Moon Pool (the original, short version, as it first appeared) to my twelve-year-old, and I only have one question: WHY WAS THIS NEVER MADE INTO A MOVIE?!?!?!! I suppose the original story, while it has a serious creepy vibe, isn't exactly dripping with action and excitement. There's some phenomenal special effects just waiting to happen, though, and the sequel (Conquest of the Moon Pool) definitely has the action part going for it. It also has an army of frog-men long before Lovecraft penned anything about half-human fish-people. That is a visual that would look great on a big screen. Someone has to make this happen.

The weather is turning toward summer now, with temperatures breaking the mercury here at home. Thank God for air conditioning. I did my annual ritual today, standing in front of the A/C with my shirt off, just letting the cold air blast over me. Man, does it feel good. I was foolish enough to walk the dogs around lunch time, with a heat advisory going on. What was I thinking? Even the dogs though I was insane, panting the whole way and drowning themselves in the water dish when we got home.

I've been considering what I could write that wouldn't require expensive cover art so I can reach my goal for publishing this month. I'm inclined to look at the Adventure genre. Not fantasy, sci-fi or anything like that, but pulp adventure in the Indiana Jones vein. That could be a lot of fun to write. I'll have to think about it some more, but there's got to be some kind of pulpy adventure I could handle. Maybe something to do with Egypt; I like Egypt. Or something more along the lines of the early days of American colonization. That could be interesting.

I'm rambling tonight, but there's nothing particularly pressing to talk about, and I don't feel like ranting about the latest COVID-19 news. Tomorrow will be a new day, so we'll see what happens, and what inspires me.

In the meantime, you could always take in a mystery; check out my second Cameron Vail book, The Missing Magnate, available on Amazon. And please, support indie publishing, because it's where the best stories can be found.


No comments:

Post a Comment