Wednesday, May 27, 2020

More Treasures to be Found...

Remember that flood we had a couple of months ago? I certainly do. Our crawl space looks much cleaner now, for one thing. But I'm still going through stuff I had sitting on various CD-ROMs and such. Man, I had a lot of crap saved up.

Some of it is duplicates of what I already have on my computer; old RPG books, texts I had downloaded for various purposes, music from my favorite artists. But there's stuff that I'm very, VERY glad to have found, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to salvage it and get some of it ready for publishing.

Yes, I found some of my old writing. Now, some of it isn't on CD-ROM; it's on old 3.5" floppy disks, and if I can get either mine or my wife's old computer up and running, I'll hopefully be able to recover the most important files, including one complete novel, a fantasy novel set in a far-Eastern land.

Then there are the old games, like Sid Meier's Pirates! and Pool of Radiance. I know, people don't play those anymore, but they're still classics. And, best of all, I don't have to pay anything for them (see yesterday's post). So, if I get the chance, and I can get those old computers running again, I might just go back to swinging a sword on the decks of a Spanish galleon for old times' sake.

I even found some silly stuff I once did online; back in the day I participated in some 'e-wrestling' federations, and being the Obsessive Compulsive that I am, I saved the posts. I was reading some of them over for the first time in over fifteen years last night, and there was some seriously funny stuff in there. Ah, memories...

It helps that I'm cleaning out this old stuff, because a lot of it really is just junk that's taking up space. Sure, it takes time to go through these disks, but the recovered treasures make the slog worth it.

If I find anything else interesting, I'll make sure to mention it in future posts. In the meantime, I've also started my 'Let's Read' on the Traveller game books; check that post out if you're so inclined. Or, if you prefer something more complete and full to read, there's always a book to read. I recommend A Universe of Possibilities, a short-story anthology that is sure to provide you with some entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment