Friday, March 10, 2023

Another Treasure Trove...

Well, my wife came to town and kidnapped me for lunch today. Actually, we didn't even eat; we went to a small pawn shop/thrift store kinda place. They had books, which is why we went.

And man, there were some old books in there. There were some from the late 19th century. I found a Henty, which got me real excited, but it was the only one. I did grab a few more boys' adventure books, in hopes that one of my kids might read them.

We also found some old books on teaching kids morals through stories; it's a five-volume set with lots of material to cover, so those jumped in the box. There was a complete set of the Collier Junior Classics as well, but it was the 1962 edition, which was when they changed the series to dumb it down and make it far less boy-friendly. Besides, I've got the first three volumes of the 2020 edition from Castalia Books, so I'm not wasting money on another set, especially an inferior version.

What else? A bunch of Agatha Christie mysteries, because she is the Queen of Murder, after all. Oh, and some math textbooks and workbooks...from about eighty years ago. Back before calculators, let alone smartphones and watches. So students had to actually figure stuff out. Tanner is going to love me, I just know it. These are for Grades 7-9 from back then, which would be roughly Grades 11-12 or even 1st-year college today. Good stuff.

There were also a couple of shelves of DVDs, and I found a few decent ones in there. It was obvious that while they do get a lot of stuff donated or picked up at estate auctions and such, the good stuff gets snatched up pretty quickly. Still, I got a couple of Bourne Identity movies, a James Bond, and an old movie serial, Zorro's Black Whip. I like the old serials, so this will be a fun one to watch.

All that, and I didn't even eat. But after an hour and a half, my wife had had enough of me and returned me to the office without even demanding a ransom. Some people just don't make good kidnappees.

No comments:

Post a Comment