Saturday, August 15, 2020

It's a Big Job, but Somebody's Got to Do It

My family is weird. My immediate family, that is. My wife, our boys, the dogs, and me. Weird. Our family motto is 'We Don't Do Normal.' Or, in the Latin translation, 'Non Facies Normalis'. I'm going to actually make up a family crest with that motto.

Of course, having seen what passes for 'normal' in today's society, I'll not only take 'weird,' I'll embrace it with my whole heart and soul.

One of the things we're doing that qualifies as 'we don't do normal' is moving across the country in the midst of Coronamania. Instead of sheltering in place, we're packing up and moving out. And we bought the house before we even listed our own for sale. Normal people, of course, sell their house, then start looking for the one they're going to move to. But we just don't work that way. We knew what we wanted, and we found it. Of course we jumped on it with both feet!

The other thing we're doing that falls under our family motto is trying to clean up, declutter and stage a four-bedroom house, including finished basement and yard, in just over a week so we can get it up for sale and sold in time to close the deal on the house we bought. It helps that we're in a place that's a hot market; houses are going for much more than you might expect here, because they're still cheaper than what people are paying in cities like Toronto and Vancouver. Seriously, those places are insane for housing prices.

So, I get to do things way, way out of my wheelhouse. Lawn work, for example. I'm what's known as a 'sedentary' person. I come home from work exhausted that I've been on my butt all day. It's tiring work, really. Oh, sure, not as much as other people who are working outside in the hot sun, but still. I do my thing, they do theirs. They signed up for it, so they can't complain.

Except now, I'm the one who signed up for removing debris from the back yard and replacing a gutter on the roof and all that other fun stuff that goes into making a house look nice. I must be out of my mind.

But it's going to be so, so worth it when we get it done, because we're going somewhere beautiful. Close to being off the grid, too; internet isn't exactly up-to-date where we'll be. Their version of 'high-speed' doesn't quite measure up to today's standards, if you get my meaning. I'm just grateful they've moved on from dial-up.

So, I'm still going to post, but there may be days that I miss out, simply because there's so much to do. I'll plan to avoid that, of course, because daily posting is good, but life's what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Cheers, and check out my newest book, Bard Conley's Adventures Across the Solar System, available now in ebook and paperback format at an Amazon website near you.


No comments:

Post a Comment