Monday, March 23, 2020

That Escalated Quickly...

And, just like that, I'm unemployed.

Okay, it's a temporary layoff during the Kung Flu crisis. Still, it's a bit of a punch to the gut. A man who can't provide for his family isn't much of a man. Fortunately, it's temporary, so I'll be back to work...eventually. Who knows how long 'eventually' is going to last? These days, it could be weeks, months, or...never. It depends on how long the government decides to milk the crisis to their advantage.

Oh, was that too cynical? Sorry; I just read that the Democrats in the States blocked the bipartisan relief bill so they could add more pork to it. World-wide pandemic that's killed thousands of people and is going to kill thousands more? Some estimates ranging in the million-plus dead? No emergency relief bill for you until we get our donors some of that sweet taxpayer money that we're just printing in our licensed counterfeiting shop called the Federal Reserve Bank. And if you think the Canadian government is going to handle it any better, I've got some prime waterfront property in the middle of the Sahara desert you might be interested in.

Anyway, I'm not bitter about it. Much. I mean, sure, it means hitting up pogey for a while, but we're in decent shape; the bills are paid, we've got lots of food (and an adequate supply of toilet paper), and we're staying put. So, we'll weather this about as well as anyone can. It just sucks to get that call when you were expecting a different one, that's all. I thought the company would be switching over, at least temporarily, to at-home working. They still might; I just won't be a part of it.

So, I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity, get more writing done, and get caught up on my school work. Piece of cake. I also get to spend more time with my family, and more time teaching our homeschooled kids. Yes, kids; the youngest one is just about ready for his own education to begin. By the time we can actually get mail across the border again, he'll be ready to start at the bottom and work his way up to where he should be for his age.

Alright, I'm going to post more about setting tomorrow, even though no one is reading this yet. Someday, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment