Saturday, March 14, 2020

Lost Treasures

One of the benefits of having a flooded crawlspace is that you get to find all that stuff you lost or forgot about years ago. Sometimes, that stuff is soaked and ruined, but not all of it. I was fortunate enough to find some of my long-lost music in the piles of boxes. Not CDs (although it was nice to find some of those), but sheet music that I wrote years and years ago.

I once wrote a musical play. I was young and foolish, but it was fun. It was short, only one act at first. But it grew over time; it's still not fully fleshed out, but it's better than it was. But it had been so long since I'd worked on it, or even thought about it, that when I found the manuscript, I was missing some of the songs that had not yet been integrated into the music. And it had been so long that I couldn't remember the tunes, let alone the lyrics.

But I found them. Just the lyrics, but that was enough.

I immediately ran to the piano to test my memory, and sure enough, I had it back. The play was rusty, since it was so long ago, but I got it. Oh, what a wonderful feeling that was! I also found some of my other sheet music, songs that I had written for Mass, including the lost verse of my Christmas song, Seek the Child. It was glorious.

Now, there's still a lot of stuff to go through, including all the stuff that was taken away to be dried to see if it can be salvaged. I still expect there will be a lot of stuff that really is lost, including a crap-ton of books, but we'll see what comes out of it. Maybe some of it can still be saved.

I have some other treasures, of course, that aren't so lost. You can look them up on Amazon. They are:

Final Exam
The Missing Magnate
Chronicles of Meterra: Arrival

No comments:

Post a Comment