Saturday, March 21, 2020

Stuck at Home

Well, today didn't quite go as expected. I went to work despite the $1000 fine for breaking 'social distancing,' and then fifteen minutes after I got there, it was time to go home; the place was shut down because someone had been in contact with someone else who contracted Coronavirus, aka the Beer Plague. On the plus side, I'm home for the weekend, giving me a chance to get caught up on my delayed courses and get some extra writing done.

Since I started my job, I've found that there's been plenty of time in between calls to get some quality writing time. I've averaged over 4,000 words a day on days that I worked, in fact. But this past week, that went down the toilet with the insane amount of calls and emails we've gotten from people desperate to make sure the internet, their sole means of survival remains intact.

I know, it's a bit hypocritical of me to talk about people desperately needing the internet when I'm typing up a blog post. I feel neither guilt nor shame.

So, the workplace is now locked down like Patient Zero showed up. At least I'm getting paid. And the company is working on getting us the tools to continue our work at home, because we must keep the modems running. I shudder to think of the backlog when we get back to work; we'll be weeks getting caught up, if that. My writing time at work is likely to have come to an end, which is going to slow down my production. I've still got some exams to write, after all, and courses to finish, plus I've got family to spend time with. So, writing is going to slack off. To a point. I'm still going to write, but I'm going to concentrate on getting some of my almost-finished material completed and published. In the meantime, though, I'm going to keep writing these blog posts that no one is actually reading, because everyone needs some kind of an outlet.

Hopefully, people aren't reading these posts because they're busy reading other things, like my books, which you can find on Amazon.

Final Exam
The Missing Magnate
The Chronicles of Meterra: Arrival

No comments:

Post a Comment