Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Spring is Here

More or less, anyway. The school term is winding down, and I've been busy trying to complete a bunch of assignments. I didn't even realize it's been a week since I posted.

Planting season is coming on the farm, so it's coming up on the time to dig more beds. I got two done last fall before the frosts came; this year I expect to get at least a dozen. More, if Ashton can use his new toys to dig faster.

We've already planted some seeds inside, under a growing light in those miniature plastic greenhouses. There's leeks, lavender, parsley, and tomatoes so far, with more to come this week when we have time. We'll eat well this year, at a much lower grocery bill than we're used to. And it will taste really, really good, too.

We did some container gardening last year before we moved, and we did bring in some tasty veggies. Mostly potatoes, but also some herbs, peppers, and tomatoes. I'm looking forward to seeing what our crop looks like here in PEI.

There's something...exciting, almost, about growing your own food. It's not something I ever considered before, being addicted to the city life, but out here, your perspective changes. It's a whole new way of looking at things. I've always wanted to make a difference somehow; now, I have a chance to do exactly that with a garden and a farm.

So, the plans for the spring include: ten to twelve garden beds, some fruit trees, and raising the chickens we got a few weeks ago. We have eight, five Rhode Island Reds and three Ayam Cemani. If you've never heard of that kind, they're the all-black chicken from Indonesia. Rare birds, and valuable, too. We're hoping we've got some egg-layers, and not just a pack of roosters; there's no way to tell at their age, so we just hoped for the best.

All in all, it's going to be quite the exciting and different spring for the Sprigg family. Unlike any we've ever experienced, in fact. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment