Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Oh, I Want to Cry...

Sometimes, we forget certain things. Things that turn out to be important. Things that can prove to be very costly. Why do I mention that? Well, by an incredible coincidence, I just got to experience (again) one of those certain things.

My new Cameron Vail mystery is on a flash drive. I hadn't gotten around to backing it up onto the computer yet, since the computer is starting to show its age and I hadn't switched things over to the second computer. Well, my beloved little Garrett decided that my flash drive was a toy, and he's made off with it somewhere. And the best part is, being autistic, he has no way of telling me where it is, no matter how much I beg and plead with him about how important it is.

Which means it's gone until we find it.

There's more on the drive besides that book, of course. There's stuff that was on our old computers that we managed to recover, pictures from old vacations and the like. And I hadn't transferred it over to the computer yet. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Now, I'm sure it isn't lost forever; it's somewhere in the house, and it's not that big of a house. So, we'll find it at some point. Unless one of the dogs happens to find it and use it as a Milk Bone. Which has happened before, too.

It's on me, not Garrett; I'm the one who carelessly left it out on my desk instead of hiding it away. But that really isn't any sort of comfort. I just know that I want it back. In the meantime, though, I'll have to put that book on hold; I'm not going to rewrite it. I'll just shift gears to something else instead. Actually, I have an idea from a workshop I did recently, which might be fun to try. It's another mystery, of course; Cameron Vail is a busy detective. And I've got some fantasy ideas to work with, too. There's lots to write, so I'd best get at it.

I'll have another Traveller page up tomorrow, assuming I get the chance at the end of tax season...

No comments:

Post a Comment