Monday, April 12, 2021

End of Term...Finally!

Oh, it's been a rough week and a bit. Four courses finishing up, four major assignments...but I finally got it all done. It's not going to be perfect, but I'm happy with what I got done, especially in the past few days. I should have known it was coming, but Saaturday morning found me at the hospital in Summerside getting treated for a damn kidney stone. Stress does that sometimes.

But, I'm pretty much over it, and I'm done with this term. Two more courses to go this summer, and I'm finally finished. And they are going to be easy courses, unlike the past term of assignment-heavy stuff. Music notation and Canadian history, and that's it. I'm so very looking forward to being done.

The last assignment I had was for my History of Modern Britain course. My final essay's topic was Sir Richard Burton, the man who did the sixteen-volume translation of The Thousand Nights and a Night, which I am still reading night by night. I picked him as a topic because he's an excellent example of the kind of man we don't have anymore, a man who went out and did things, great things, and wrote about them for everyone to read. By today's standards, he was the very definition of 'toxic masculinity.' But by any normal standards, he was the kind of man we need a lot more of these days. Unapologetically masculine, self-assured, and a man who was both brilliant and strong. He combined a lot of the best traits mankind has to offer. Sure, he was a Victorian Brit, and didn't think too highly of the cultures he visited and wrote about, but let's be honest: They were backwards, by the standards of the Christian West. It might be politically incorrect to say it, but it's the truth.

Anyway, it was a topic that spoke to me, and I hope I did it (and him) justice.

Now, it's a few weeks of relative peace before heading back into the fray one last time. I can't wait to be done with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment