Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Finishing up a Book

Man, it's been a while since I could write a post like this one. But I'm finally wrapping up the fifth Cameron Vail mystery, which is called Spoiled Ballot. It's been on the back burner for about five months now. No excuses; I just wasn't writing. Now, I'm diving back in and ready to get this puppy finished.

This one is going to be more of a Bill Potts book than a Cameron Vail book, since...well, I don't want to spoil it. Suffice it to say that Bill does most of the work in this one while Cameron is...let's say he's incapacitated.

I know, I know...teasing the reader. But if I just say it outright, I'm giving away a big chunk of the plot, right? Bill has some pretty fun lines in this one. I certainly had fun coming up with them. But, as I've mentioned before, it's not like I sit and plan out these things; this one is coming off the top of my head as I write it. And I still don't know why the murder victim is dressed like--

Oh, never mind. Just wait until it comes out. I've got ten more days to get this done by the end of the month, so I'm going to try to wrap it up by the weekend so I can have my mystery reader go over it in time to get it up on Amazon by the end of the month.

It feels good to just get back to it and let the words just roll out like they did today. I've been working on another book this month, but I really wanted to get this one done; if nothing else, my mother's been waiting for quite a while to see this one finished. So, I just read over what I'd written before, made a couple of minor edits and fixed some typos, then dove right in. And I got three chapters done in a single day. I should be done by Friday, assuming all goes well tomorrow.

So, for those who are new, here's the quick rundown: Cameron Vail is the detective; Bill Potts is his friend, an aspiring reporter, who is also the narrator. These are classic-style puzzle mysteries; the clues you need to solve it are there, if you look closely enough. This is the fifth book starring these two, and they've all been a blast to write.

If science fiction and fantasy isn't doing it for you right now, check out the first book in the series, Final Exam, where Cameron and Bill solve a mystery on campus. It's available in e-book right now; the paperback edition will be out soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment