Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Winter has Arrived

Well, that's quite the snowstorm we're getting. Why did I move out here again?

Yes, it's winter in Prince Edward Island. Three days before Christmas, and Mother Nature has decreed that yes, this is going to be a very, very white Christmas. The roads are icky, at best, and I saw three emergency vehicles rushing around while I drove to work. You'd think these people would be used to the road conditions by now; they've lived here long enough. Then again, I'm not the only newcomer to the Island; maybe they just got here, too.

The funny thing is, I didn't want this. When my Honey Bunny and I first broached the idea of moving, eight years ago, I was adamant that snow was off the table. Somewhere warm, I said. Somewhere that doesn't get buried in snow. Somewhere that we can relax by the pool in shorts while watching the kids open their Christmas presents.

Oops. I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

If you don't get that joke, you're culturally deprived, and need to start watching old Bugs Bunny cartoons immediately. Trust me, it's important.

Of course, the snowfall also reminds me that I'd better do some Christmas shopping. Usually my wife does all of that; she even buys her own gifts, which sucks, because she doesn't like surprises. Well, I do like surprises. Specifically, I love surprising her. So, I'm going to surprise her.

There have been some questions posed about my writing. I admit that it's slacked off since we moved; I've been very, very busy not only with school, but with the move and its aftermath. It sucks, but I expect that to change very shortly. I just need to get back to the groove and plop my butt down in front of the computer screen and start typing.

With all the crazy going on in the world, it's actually nice to look out the window and see the snow. It's something I've known all my life, especially when I was kid, living out in the Maritimes and digging two-story snow forts in the winter. Or getting surprise snow squalls in May up in Quebec. Those were some fun times. Now, my kids are getting to experience that on an 18-acre farm, driving around on a quad pulling a sled, or sitting out in the heated garage playing with model trains. Being brothers, which is great.

Now I know why I moved out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment