Sunday, June 6, 2021

How to Be a Successful Farmer in One Easy Step

And I thought growing garlic was easy...


All I had to do was put the bulbs in the ground and leave them over the winter. Pretty soon we're going to have some home-grown organic garlic, ready to harvest. But today, we saw this by the garage:


That...is rhubarb. Lots and lots of rhubarb. I didn't have to do anything to get it, either; it was there, sneakily growing behind our backs the whole time. We're going to start harvesting it this week and doing funky things with it. Not the leaves; they're poisonous. But the stalks? Oh, yeah. And Mom, thanks for the rhubarb peach cobbler recipe; I knew you'd find it eventually.

Speaking of peaches, we do have a peach tree, although I forgot to get a picture of it. It's still in a pot, not planted in the ground, but we figure that will change in a month or so. It's a self-pollinator, so it's not going to need any other peach trees to produce fruit.

Now, if we could only grow something on purpose...baby steps, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment