Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Getting Back into the Groove

Getting out of the habit of writing and blogging regularly is a lot easier than getting back into it. No excuses, really, just a matter of sitting down and actually doing it. It's been two weeks today since we arrived in our new home. The stress of the trip here has dissipated; I'm not going to relive it now. We're out of quarantine, which is worth celebrating. Naturally, I headed to town to check out the nearest bookstore. It's small, but it turns out they do sell books by local talent. Since I live here now, I'll qualify as 'local.' Getting my books into a store would be pretty sweet. I'll be contacting the manager tomorrow.

My middle son started school today. I'm not a big fan, obviously; homeschooling is infinitely superior. But he needs friends; he's far, far more social than I am. So, we compromised. He'll go to school, but he'll still do the homeschooling work we assign him as well. I hope it works out.

The oldest is having a blast; he went to Charlottetown today, which is just over an hour away. Of course, he was just there to check out the hardware stores (Canadian Tire, Princess Auto), but he's got a lot of stuff to do, both on the farm and out working, wherever that may be.

But the first thing we did out of quarantine was head for water. There's a nice beach about twelve minutes away. My wife got some pictures and made a short video; the youngest son and I walked out quite a ways on the low-tide beach, checking out the salt-smelling air and looking at shells on the sand. The kids even found a little hermit crab, just a baby. It was beautiful.

We're really going to enjoy being here; it's an amazing place, as thousands of tourists can attest. But for us, it's home now. And it's going to be great. It's quiet, peaceful, and slowed-down. None of the craziness of the big cities, since the biggest city here is only about 45,000 people. I can work with that. Maybe I'll go in a new writing direction. After I finish the next book, of course. Which I need to get back to. So, I'll make it a short entry tonight and come back with more fun stuff tomorrow. Because this has to be a habit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment