Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Harvest Season Begins

I swear, I do stuff besides working on the farm. Honest.

But, as I've said before, there is something truly incredible about reaching into the ground and pulling out something that you planted months ago as a tiny seed. We've harvested tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, peppers, zucchini, summer squash, garlic, lettuce, onions, potatoes...and it just keeps going.

Today, I went for a full harvest of one particular crop: carrots. Behold my handiwork:


The box ended up being a little over half full. Not bad for a first-timer. Honey Bunny is diligently washing them and getting them ready to store; they'll last us a few months, hopefully, or less if we start focusing more on eating what we grow instead of buying it all.

I planted the seeds close together in the spring; that's how I got that many in a small, eight-foot bed. They were cramped, and it showed; some grew around each other, making it difficult to pull them out. And some of them were just massive. Two inches or more across at the top in one case. And they are all very, very tasty.

So, it's a short post today, but it's a good feeling. Food on the table is always a good thing. And my Honey Bunny can do amazing things with food. I can't wait to see what she can do with stuff this good.

No comments:

Post a Comment