Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Going Whole Hog on the Farm

It's official: We are farmers. What in the hell was I thinking?



Chickens, and bunnies, and pigs. Oh, my.

We bought them tonight from a family who are leaving the Island and moving back to Ontario. My sincerest condolences to them.

So, the pigs are Peppa (the one with the darker splotch on her neck) and George. Two sows, five months old. The question we have now is, do we butcher them both and sell one of them, or butcher one for our own freezer and keep the other one to breed. After all, we spent the whole day making that pen, and we're going to spend the weekend making the outdoor half for them. I don't want to just have them for a few months after all the work we're doing.

Besides, growing our own bacon seeds from scratch could be fun. And Garrett loves the pigs. I'm sure we'll get pictures of him playing in the pigpen before long.

The electric fence should be interesting; we'll have that up by the weekend, I hope. But we'll need to run some power to the barn to get it to work. Either that, or get a really humungous extension cord. Do they come in thousand-foot rolls?

Garrett experimented with the electric fence when we went to pick up the pigs. He found it to be a shocking experience. You may commence the eye-rolling. I'm old; I make dumb jokes.

So, now that we've got our newest farm additions settling in, it's time to do something more relaxing and head back to work in the morning. It's much more peaceful. And a lot less digging in dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment