Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Here Comes Winter...

We're supposed to get snow tonight. Only a couple of inches, but still. It's mid-November, which back in southwestern Ontario means snow is still a month away, if not more. It's not snowing yet, as I type this, but the night is still young. Well, it hasn't reached middle age yet, at least.

I've probably mentioned this before, but it is absolutely beautiful out here. At night, with a clear sky, you wouldn't believe how many stars you can see. When I would walk the dogs at night in Wallaceburg, I would see some of the stars; the Big Dipper, Polaris, Cassiopeia, Orion (depending on the season). Easy to spot, easy to recognize. But out here? The Dipper is there, easy enough to see, but Cassiopeia and Orion are tougher to spot; there are a lot more stars visible in their vicinity, the ones that aren't bright enough to be seen when there are streetlights nearby. Well, there aren't any street lights around here, so not only do I see a crap-ton more stars, I can also see the ribbon of the Milky Way high above. It's an amazing and beautiful sight. I even saw a shooting star tonight.

Our middle son is trying out for basketball; he's got a tough road ahead, since it's a school of Grades 7-9, and he's in seventh. But if he wants it bad enough, he'll get it. He's got quite a bit of athletic talent, so I think he'll do well. I'd still rather have him at home, but he needs friends. He's not weird, like his dad.

Not a long entry tonight; I've got an exam tomorrow to prepare for. And writing, of course. Always writing. I might not write another Anne of Green Gables, but I'm going to do my part to increase the available literature out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment